Saturday, February 2, 2013

"Vale of Kings"

March 17, 1978 Original Concept

From my earliest recollections, I've been fascinated by Egypt's Valley of the Kings and the mysteries that have been uncovered by various archeologists through the ages. So, as part of the environs of the Castle, I decided to create my own Vale of Kings in mid-March 1978.

*****
Some 4 miles northwest of The Castle of the Bloated One sets an area that once was fertile land, but due to a shifting climate, is now barren. This valley, rich in marble and other minerals was used originally as a quarry, and also as the final resting place for the Pharaohs and their families. Some of the tombs were originally large in scope, but I also included smaller tombs that show a jump forward in design philosophy and personal taste of each King/Queen.

I created the contours in Sketchup by drawing lines at different heights, matching those from my original map, then I went back in and added some points of interest. Next I switched to Sandbox mode and used "FROM CONTOURS" to create the hills and vales. After that I simply drew in each tomb, running each into the hills and built on from there.

Presented below is an overview of the Vale in Isoview:

Layout of Vale:

VK I:


VK II


VK III


VK IV


VK V


VK VI


VK VII


VK IX


VK XIII

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment