Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Isolde-Delta and Castle Zagyg Part 4

Background on Castle Greyhawk/Zagyg:

This was originally posted over at Dragonsfoot forums (in the 1E section) one of my favorite places to hang out, as both a tribute to Gary Gygaz, and as a way to reintroduce my campaign plans.

***** 
Like many and for more years than I care to admit, I wanted to run/play the real Castle Greyhawk, its dungeons and all the goodness it offered. Of course, things didn't work out the way we envisioned with the passing of Gary long before this project could be finished and shared with the gaming world.

Jump back in time to 1974 when I was 11. I was introduced to Chainmail by my Uncle - whom was a historical war gamer and I dug the whole miniature thing right away. The next year my world was changed when D&D came out and my Grandfather bought it for me. My mom then married a real piece of work - my stepfather. He was one of those men whom was a pathetic excuse and dominated my mother and I emotionally, physically - the whole gambit. In any case, D&D, and then AD&D saved my life quite literally. It kept me from spending most of my adult life in prison by focusing on a way to escape for a short time from him and the troubles I faced on a daily basis. I'm sure my story isn't unique, and it may seem quite sappy to some, but there is an epilogue to it I'd like to pass on:

While attending a convention in the early 80's I had the opportunity to meet Gary for the 3rd time - and even saw a bit of one of the dungeon levels from Castle Greyhawk (which one I don't remember - wish I did). During a break between sessions, I saw him again and wanted to share this story with him. As I finished, he smiled, grasped my hand ever so firmly and got a twinkle in his eye. Then he said "Thank You!".

So jump back to this year, and I still longed for Greyhawk. I set my sights on the Upper Works - heck everything I could get my hands on that Troll Lords had done for this setting. After reading a ton of reviews about it online and coming into it with the mindset that it didn't have the dungeons that some wanted, I decided to track down a copy. I spent way more than I wanted, but it arrived yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment